Thirteen Things In Our Kitchen
Thanks to Amanda at Following an Unknown Path for posting some very interesting random facts about her kitchen in Taiwan. Here are thirteen things that are in our kitchen:
- Three females! Our kitchen is quite the gathering place with all of us vying for spots to work at the counter! When we have company over, I'm the main dish preparer, Hannah usually takes the side veggie dishes and salads, and Sarah is the dessert girl. We all work together - such fun!
- Wallpaper: blue and white checkered wallpaper, chair railing, white wallpaper with cherries above the railing, and a border at the top of jellies, berries, vines, a butter crock, and a pitcher--very country decorated.
- Fresh flowers: thanks to Hannah and her flower garden we always have fresh flowers on the counters and the table. Here's a picture of the giant cockscomb she grew this year.
- A Pantry: This is our first kitchen with a small pantry, and it's great to have the extra room. Right now it needs a good fall cleaning!
- Frogs: there are only 5 frogs in the kitchen, mostly on the window sill and on the bakers rack where we keep plants. My favorite is the one holding a plant in the top of its body.
- 13 Baskets! We have baskets and more baskets, thanks to my mom's basket making hobby: utensil basket, market basket, egg baskets, cookbook basket, napkin basket, trash basket (where we keep our phone books), potato masher basket that holds candy, and some granny baskets.
- Cows in the Kitchen! Yep, I'm a cow lover, and there are 11 cows making their home in our kitchen at this very minute! I couldn't believe it myself when I counted them all! They're on the window sills, on the walls, used as a chalkboard, nestled in an egg basket, stuck in a flower pot, and there are even cow eggs in an antique wire chicken! :)
- 8 Scripture verses. Two of my favorites, one we have on the fridge: "A generous man will be prosperous, and he who waters will himself be watered" (Proverbs 11:25) and my life's verse on a wall plaque: "For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart" (Jeremiah 29: 11,13).
- 21 Houseplants include: shamrocks (a green one and a purple one), spider plants, several Christmas cacti, aloe plant (for kitchen burns), a spaghetti cactus, 3 pregnant onion plants, African violets, a jade plant (in the frog), and a snake plant.
- Too many cookbooks, two recipe boxes, and an antique rolling pin holder.
- A Pineapple Water Fountain: A gift from Tom one Mother's Day, it sits near the nook window by all the plants gurgling a calming fountain of water throughout the day.
- 4 birdhouses, 2 roosters, 1 sheep, 1 crow, and an angel! (all decorative, of course!)
- Currently: lots of garden tomatoes and green beans fill the counters waiting for Hannah to can or freeze; Amish Friendship Chocolate Muffins from Sarah's last baking day waiting to be eaten; and bread dough rising for tonight's meal.
And one thing we especially like in our kitchen: Friends and family who come to visit! :)