A few days ago, I finally finished sewing my interfacing and cloth arcs together. As I read over the next few steps, I realized I didn't have a tool I was supposed to have--a wooden iron.
Since the interfacing is fusible, you can't use a steam iron without fusing the material before you want to. Instead, you press the seams with this non-heated tool. In the front of the quilting book I'm using, they had a sample picture of a wooden iron.
I thought, "Hmm, I think Dad could make one of these out of a scrap piece of wood!" He said he would when I asked him, so after supper we headed out to the garage to start. I plugged in the saw for him, manned the camera, and watched while he did all the real work. :)
First, he cut the end of the stick at an angle with the table saw. Later he had to go back and cut the handle to the right length as well. Then we went over to the drill press, where a sanding drum was already set up from another project. The tip was sanded nice and smooth, rounding off the angled cut. Lastly, he took some finer grit sandpaper and smoothed it even more by hand.
Ta-da! In ten minutes, I had a wooden iron! Yesterday I tried it out on my first arc. It worked really well! Now I only have to turn 253 more arcs right side out with my hemostat and press the seams with my new handy-dandy homemade tool before I can go on to the next step...