Sew, Mama, Sew! has challenged us to show our fabric stash this week for February's Fat Quarter Month. Oh, my! Have you seen those pictures of organized shelves and bins of fabrics (and whole rooms!) that other sewers have posted on Flickr?! Unbelievable!
One thing is for sure...after seeing how other folks organize their stash, I think I should work at cleaning up even this small amount of fabric I have so I can find what I need a little easier!
This is embarrassing, but here's a picture of my pitiful basket of fabric. I promise that I'm going to come up with a better way of storing! Thank you Sew, Mama, Sew! for the incentive to organize!
* What do you usually sew? I always sew quilts or wallhangings. I'm not a garment sewer.
* When you shop for fabric, what size cuts do you usually buy? (i.e. If you see something beautiful, but you don’t have a use for it right away, how much do you buy?) Usually I buy whatever I need for the project...1/4 yard for the background fabric for a wallhanging or 1/8 yard of various batiks the pattern calls for.
* Do you buy on impulse or do you go out looking for something you need? Just what I need.
* Are you a pre-washer? If you are, do you wash your fabric before you need it, or only when you’re ready to use it? Yes, I pre-wash when I need it.
* Do you iron it? Yes.
* How do you sort it? (color, print size, collection, etc.) Well, as you can see from the picture above, it's not sorted at all!
* How do you store your fabric? In a basket on the top closet shelf in our bedroom.
* What tips do you have for building up a well-rounded stash? Always frugally buy fabric you need during "fill-your-bag" sales; ask generous friends for any fabric they don't want; enter blog giveaways for fabric; let friends know colors you are collecting for a certain project (purple); accept all offerings with profuse thanks.
* When do you say enough is enough? Never, I will take anything.
* Do you have a current favorite print in your stash? Any of the colorful batiks. I like the colors in the Coffee wallhanging I just finished.
* What’s your definition of the perfect stash? Organized stacks and stacks of every color and pattern imaginable.