https://girottifamily.typepad.com > Plymouth 2009

« Back to Plymouth 2009

Town Square: the First Parish Church and the Church of the Pilgrimage

Town Square:  the First Parish Church and the Church of the Pilgrimage

"First Parish's congregation developed from the first church established by the Pilgrims, tracing its origins back to 1606 in Scrooby, England.

Located at the top of Leyden Street, this impressive 1898 granite structure (the fifth meeting house on this site) was built using funds donated to honor the Pilgrim Founders. A tribute to American craftsmanship, it has outstanding Tiffany stained glass windows illustrating the Pilgrim Story, and houses the Town Bell, cast by Paul Revere, which was rung by the sexton six times a day to mark the time in the old New England manner. The sanctuary interior is of carved quarter-sawn oak and is one of the best examples of hammer beam construction in the United States. A tour of this church will be a highlight of your visit to Plymouth."
-----
"The Church of the Pilgrimage in Town Square, Plymouth, Massachusetts, continues to carry on the faith and understanding of church government of the Pilgrim fathers and mothers. It has remained a Congregational church since the original "owning of the Covenant" at Scrooby, England in 1606.....On October 1, 1801, fifty-two persons withdrew from the First Parish because they could not agree with Rev. Kendall's liberal tendencies. The seceding group organized itself into what was first called The Third Church of Christ in Plymouth. First Parish Church associated itself with the Unitarian movement with Rev. Kendall continuing as its pastor......The members of The Church of the Pilgrimage believe that its separation from Unitarian tendencies in 1801 was an act of restoring confidence in the insights of those who first "made covenant" in the hamlet of Scrooby in 1606, adhered to that covenant in Amsterdam and Leyden, and secured its perpetuation in New Plimoth from 1620 until this very day....

Permalink